Jamaica edges South Africa in the ‘World Cup of Flags’ Twitter game; Barbados finishes 3rd

🎶I pledge my heart forever…🎶

After hours of voting and a nail-biting finish, Jamaica has beaten South Africa in the grand finale of the World Cup of Flags game on Twitter this Sunday, May 17.

The competition, with no real stakes other than bragging rights, was created to alleviate boredom on the Twittersphere as the world endured quarantine from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and saw 192 flags going head-to-head with votes determining the winner of ‘matches’ in groups similar to the real-life football version.

Jamaica with 50.7 per cent of the 29,193 votes allotted just inched out South Africa, which amassed the remaining 49.3 per cent.

Barbados secured a third-place finish, beating Brazil with 57.7 per cent of the 12,401 votes made in the playoff.

It was a drama-filled ‘tournament’ for Jamaica having started the competition in late April in Group AE against Caribbean neighbours Grenada as well as Liechtenstein, Zambia, Hungary and Belarus. The signature flag, one of the most unique in the world, won all of its group stage matches to top AE unbeaten. Grenada finished second, and with Jamaica, advanced to the knockout stages.

More than one million votes were tabulated in the Group Stages – Antigua and Barbuda, St Kitts and Nevis, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, Jamaica, Grenada, St Lucia, and The Bahamas were the remaining Caribbean flags left in the cup and the knockout round began on Sunday, May 4.

Antigua, Jamaica, Bahamas, Barbados, Trinidad, and St Kitts made it through to the Round of 32, after beating Suriname, Cape Verde, Palau, Micronesia, Eswatini and Montenegro respectively. Things were heating up, BUZZ fam!

Match hot, BUZZ fam!

The Caribbean posse grew smaller still after Bahamas and Jamaica got the wind knocked outta them by The Seychelles and Zimbabwe. Barbados, Antigua, Trinidad and St Kitts were still in the running.

Zimbabwe was at it again when they met Trinidad and Tobago, but the twin-islands fought with all the vim in soca! Even Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley got involved and a surge of Trini support was still not enough to see the republic through.

Tears for our fallen sisters and brothers. JUSTICE!!

Zimbabwe ushered Trinidad out of the Round of 16, but what’s a competition without a little drama?  

Zimbabwe found itself disqualified in the quarterfinals against Namibia, which suddenly paved the way for all countries it defeated, Jamaica and TT included, to make one final attempt to stay in the World Cup of Flags.

It the sudden death vote off, Jamaica staved off the advances of not one, but all three competitors, beating North Korea, Namibia and Trinidad and Tobago to make it to the semi-finals.

Likkle but wi tallawah!!

Held on Saturday, May 16, Jamaica easily brushed aside Barbados to meet South Africa in today’s final, with our Caribbean nieghbours meeting Brazil in the third-place playoffs.