Radio Station Producer
This position requires a highly organized and creative person.
A radio producer is responsible for the audio content of broadcasts via radio, the Internet and other mobile platforms. He/she is involved in the entire process, from generating ideas to managing the audience response after a programme.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Generate and research ideas for programmes
- Develop content, writing material for scripts, bulletins and links
- Source potential contributors and interviewees
- Select music appropriate to the programme, the audience and the station
- Produce pre-production briefings for presenters, reporters, technical staff and other contributors
- Manage the logistics of getting people, resources and equipment together at the right place at the right time
- Undertake editing, interviewing and reporting duties as necessary
- Present programmes or manage presenters for both pre-recorded and recorded output
- Check that copyrights are cleared and understanding media laws
- Convert text, graphics, video and audio files into other formats
- Contribute to, and make use of, an archive of audio resources that can be re-used
- Respond to audience feedback and refer on to other departments as necessary
- Produce and make use of user-generated content
- Use technology, such as Cool Edit Pro, Pro Tools and Adobe Audition, for editing and production purposes
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- The ability to work as a part of a team and also independently
- Good organizational skills and an ability to cope under pressure
- An awareness of current affairs and good general knowledge
- A real interest in, and curiosity about, all sorts of people
- A lively mind, able to make connections between different ideas and subjects
- The ability to get to grips with new subject matter quickly
- A willingness to embrace new technology and learn technical skills
- Self-confidence, persistence and determination to overcome rejection.
The position should be open to individuals with an undergraduate degree but degrees in radio, media production, broadcast journalism or media studies would be advantageous.
Minimum three (3) years experience in radio production.