On Tuesday, many persons were shocked when former Dallas cop Amber Guyger got a mere 10-year prison sentence for killing Botham Jean in his apartment last year.
Interestingly, she will be eligible for parole in five years.
Guyger was found guilty of murder for fatally shooting Botham, and she had faced between five years and 99 years for the shooting.
What was even more shocking was when, during his victim impact statement, Botham’s younger brother, Brandt, told Guger that he forgave her and even gave her a long hug before she was taken to prison.
While many might see the gesture as an odd one and something almost superhuman, experts believe that forgiveness can be a good thing. They see forgiveness as a deliberate decision to release feelings of resentment towards someone or a group that has harmed you.
Here are some benefits of forgiving someone.
- To repair relationships as it helps you to see the other’s worth.
- It removes the anger and malice from your heart.
- It sets you free.
- To become emotionally healthier.
- It begins your healing process.
- Forgiveness helps us release the victim mentality.
- You’re no longer giving someone else authority over your mind and heart.
Tell us, BUZZ fam, do you believe in the power of forgiveness?