More than five months after Hurricane Dorian swept through the Bahamas causing damage estimated at US$3.4 billion, Health Minister, Dr Duane Sands, says the time has come for the country to acknowledge that more than 200 people lost their lives as a result of the Category 5 storm.
At the end of November last year, the official death toll was put at 70, with 282 people missing.
“At some point, the government of The Bahamas will have to declare that over 200 people have died in Hurricane Dorian.”— Sands
But Sands told The Tribune newspaper that the relevant authorities will have to make a decision to confirm that more than 200 people died as a result of the storm that lashed the archipelago on September 1 last year.
“At some point, the government of The Bahamas will have to declare that over 200 people have died in Hurricane Dorian, but I cannot officially say that as that is a multi-ministerial decision.
“We have to do our due diligence and meet to decide. We want to move all of the outstanding matters to an agreed consensus or conclusion. We want to bring some closure. Again, we have not walked this road before,” Sands said.
The storm caused widespread damage mainly in Abaco and Grand Bahama, with officials indicating that the death toll in those two areas were 60 and 10 respectively.
A multi-agency meeting with the Ministries of Health, Legal Affairs, National Security, the Office of the Attorney General and relevant agencies was scheduled for Thursday but has since been re-scheduled for next week.