Hayley Matthews is set to return to the West Indies Women side for the third One-Day International against India Wednesday (Nov 6), after completing an eight-match ban, Cricket West Indies has belatedly announced.
The 21-year-old was a surprise omission from the squad for the first two ODIs of the three-match series announced last Saturday, but CWI said Tuesday (Oct 29) she would sit out the fixtures which would mark the last of her ban. Matthews was suddenly pulled from the side on the eve of the start of the Australia series last month for what CWI described as a breach of its Code of Conduct.
The board also said the matter would have been referred to the Disciplinary Tribunal but up until Tuesday, there had been no word on the outcome of the hearing.
A virtual fixture in the squad since her debut as a 16-year-old against New Zealand five years ago, Matthews return will be a welcome boost to the Windies Women who suffered a whitewash to Australia in both white-ball formats recently. West Indies take on India in the first ODI of the three-match series on Friday (Nov 1) at the Vivian Richards Cricket Ground in Antigua.