The community of Woodside was awarded $5 million on Tuesday after winning the Caribbean Cement Build Your Community competition.
Here are some interesting facts about this historic community:
- The community of Woodside was declared a national heritage site in 2015.
- It was once home to the Tainos who carved out steps from solid rock from the 18th century in order to access water.
- Woodside was also the site of a slave plantation where coffee was grown.
- Its famous site known as Daddy Rock was a spot where slaves used to gather to host their religious ceremonies and plot insurrections.
- The community is known for its heritage tourism and hosted students from North American Universities, descendants of the Tainos from Puerto Rico among others.
- It also has an extensive cave network that was used by the Tainos and still has carvings inside its walls.