Investigations continue into death of Olympian Michael Fray

The death of Olympian Michael Fray might not be a straight forward suicide case. The police are still investigating suspicious questions raised by friends and family members, left unanswered.

Fray, 72, was found dead at a business office on East Street, downtown Kingston on Wednesday, November 6 and at the time, the police deemed his death a suicide.

However, the case has been reopened following inquisitive questions by family members and friends that Fray could not have hung himself as he had an injury to one of his arms and it would have been almost impossible for him to tie a knot that strong with one hand.

Plus the location of his body also raised doubts, as it was not high enough in a typical hanging position but more like someone strangled.

When contacted, Woman Constable Radcliffe of the JCF’s communication arm — Corporate Communication Unit — said information is still being gathered.

“The investigator said the case is currently open as they are investigating and they are currently waiting on the post- mortem report,” said Radcliffe

“But at the scene, he didn’t see any foul play, but the condition of the man and queries from family members, they are still investigating,” she noted.

Fray, who is the brother of noted sports journalist Bobby Fray, attended St Andrew Technical High School (STATHS) and did athletics as well as played Manning Cup.

He went on to represent Jamaica at the 1968 and 1972 Olympic Games.

In the 1968 Olympics, he ran the second leg of the 4x100m relay which had the individual silver medallist Lennox Miller, Clifton Forbes and schoolboy Errol Stewart who set the world record of 38.6 seconds in the heats. They would return to break the record again in the semi-finals with a time of 38.3 seconds.

Fray was seventh with 20.6 in that famous 200m final of the 1968 Olympics in which American bronze medallist John Carlos and Tommie Smith, who won gold, controversially made the clenched fist symbol on the podium in solidarity with the black power movement at the height of racism in America.

Fray would go on to capture 100m bronze at the 1970 Commonwealth Games and was fifth at the 1972 Olympics in Munich, West Germany, where he ran 10.40 from lane eight. His teammate Miller was third in 10.33. Valeriy Borzov of the Soviet Union won in 10.14.

He set a US national Junior College 200m record in 1967, while competing for Odessa Junior College, then later enrolled at University of Texas at El Paso in 1968 and was ranked 10th in the world by US Track and Field news.