Prime Minister Andrew Holness is expressing deep sadness following the death of two young boys, Javinchie Palmer and Tyler McLeod, who tragically died after a fire on Friday night razed their home in the community of Paradise in Norwood, St James.
Holness continues to reiterate the need for greater parental supervision and protection of children from catastrophic events, such as fires which can be prevented. He is urging parents to meet their obligation to ensure the safety and protection of their children.
The Prime Minister says many of these fires are the result of negligence and a lack of attention to fire hazards.
“Exposed flames are a danger to children and their use should be discontinued with immediacy. Fire hazards such as candles, kerosene lamps, exposed electrical wiring, flammable items, accelerants and all other such hazards should be removed in all instances, and kept out of the reach of children where necessary,” Holness said.
He is also encouraging parents not to leave their children unattended at any time or in the care of another minor.
“Supervision is important to prevent these disasters. We must ensure that the safety of our children is always our foremost concern.”