Roger Federer has withdrawn from an upcoming tennis tournament following a quarterfinal defeat at the Qatar Open on Wednesday.
Federer, 39, was competing in his first tournament in more than a year and said he was pulling out of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships – scheduled to begin on Monday – to focus on his training.
“It’s been great to be back on the [ATP Tour], loved every minute playing in Doha once again,” he wrote on Twitter. “A big thank you to the best and loyal team that helped me get here.
The 20-time grand slam champion is coming back from two knee surgeries last year.
He says he will not focus on being at Wimbledon, which he’s won eight times, with the last victory coming in 2017. That tournament is set to begin in June.