State Minister in the Ministry of National Security, Senator Matthew Samuda says the Government is taking a serious approach to the fight against the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) by extending the suspension of visits to the correctional centres.
“Following the recent announcement by the Office of the Prime Minister and the Ministry of Health & Wellness, the extended suspension of visits will be effective immediately after the existing suspension ends on Monday, March 30. This will remain in effect until the DCS is advised otherwise by the National Disaster Risk Management Council,” said Minister Samuda.
He noted that during this time the facility has made preparations for increased food and sanitary items for the inmates and children, based on the needs of each facility.
However, relatives and friends of inmates/wards may also deposit money to inmates’/wards’ tuck shop cards.
Deposits can be made to Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotia Centre Branch) Account name: Department of Corrections Project Fund, Account number: 10908-7815. Upon completing the deposit, relatives are required to send a WhatsApp message to 876-319-1616 or email firstname.lastname@example.org containing:
1. Reference number or receipt number
2. Inmate/ward name and date of birth
3. Name of correctional centre where relative is housed
4. Scanned copy or photograph of identification (drivers’ licenses, passport, national ID)
5. The maximum deposit per inmate/ward is twenty thousand dollars ($20,000) monthly.