Police were continuing their search on Wednesday for three Venezuelan teenagers, who fled from quarantine at the Canada Hall of the St Augustine campus of the University of the West Indies (UWI) earlier this week, as the health authorities announced new measures to deal with patients suffering from the coronavirus (COVID-19).
The Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) described the teenagers, aged 14, 15 and 17, as “persons of interest’ saying that the three broke quarantine sometime between Monday night and Tuesday morning.
“Persons who have knowledge of the teens’ whereabouts and giving them refuge, can be charged with aiding and abetting in an offence.”— Police statement
The police statement said that a nurse at the quarantine facility reported that between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. (local time) on Tuesday, the three minors failed to report for breakfast.
“Checks revealed they were missing, the police said, adding “members of the public are reminded that Breach of Quarantine is an offence and persons who have knowledge of the teens’ whereabouts and giving them refuge, can be charged with aiding and abetting in an offence.”
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health said it is changing its discharge policy for COVID-19 patients and that home quarantine will now be used in treating new cases and discharging patients.
Chief Medical Officer, Dr Roshan Parasram said in addition, patients will no longer be asked to produce two negative tests before being discharged.
“The discharge from our step-down facilities as you would have noted about a week ago, we took a decision to go down to one negative swab upon discharge. That has been further updated. We are going to do a clinical criteria for discharge which is recommended by WHO. So, there is no diagnostic criteria so you won’t be getting a negative swab upon discharge,” he told the Wednesday briefing by the Ministry of Health.